Data: The Target for inspection and Approval of Food Applications is the average of 21 days. The average for July through September 2011 was 13.4 days.
- The turn-around time was improved by sending the completed Food Packet Application to the Food Safety Officer electronically rather than by sending through the US Post office. This saved 5-10 days.
- One office staff person was dedicated to handling the Food Applications which contributed to improving the turn-around time.
- All of the vacant inspector positions were filled during the past year, 7 inspectors, and those inspectors are now capable of using their newly acquired experience.
- Inquiries from the stakeholders, received at our central office, is now sent straight to the Region Managers for Technical Assistance. The Region Managers are able to handle those inquiries quickly and efficiently; when the applications are received our inspectors have a head start on processing.
- The reporting period includes the summertime; which provides more light/extended days and better weather conditions in which to conduct inspections.
Sustainability: All Food Safety Officer positions are currently filled, which helps sustain the lower turn-around time below or within 21 days. If we experience vacant positions it will likely adversely impact our ability to meet or exceed our target; over an extended period.