- WMS is well below the current 7.5% control point
- The State HR Director reviewed the control point in November 2011 and maintained it at 7.5% for the biennium
- Changes continue on track through reorganizations
- WMS system oversight continues under the jurisdiction of the State HR Director, now through the new OFM Office of the State HR Director
- DES, CTS, and OFM have until 12/31/11 to put in place approved inclusion and evaluation procedures and a strategy for evaluating existing WMS positions
The WMS program was created in 1993 to provide agencies flexibility in hiring, assigning work to, and paying managers.
The program received national recognition from Governing Magazine, the National Association of State Personnel Executives, and the Council of State Governments. Over the years, however, concerns were raised that the program lacked adequate structure and formal oversight.
In December 2009, DOP Director Eva Santos asked HR Directors to join her in improving the WMS system. State agency HR staff formed two workgroups that recommended changes.
Following implementation of these changes in the Spring of 2011, a solid framework now exists across the enterprise to assure accountability, transparency, and consistency in the use of WMS:
- JVAC (Job Value Assessment Chart) and the WMS Position Description form have been updated. By 6/30/13, agencies must document and evaluate all WMS positions with these tools.
- Additional tools/resources are also available: Monthly WMS Coordinator meetings, PDF Guide, PDF Training Presentation, Salary Standards Development Tips, How to perform regression analysis, Analysis template (to check for built-in bias).
- Annual self audit process in place. 95% of agencies did self audits in July 2011 and shared the results with DOP (DES, CTS, and OFM received deferral until next audit in July 2012 due to merger legislation)
- All agency WMS Coordinators were trained by DOP. In addition, as of August, 2011, 80% of agencies have trained their own WMS committees, all using curriculum provided by DOP (100% due by June 2013).