DOL implemented email renewal notices (ERNs) so that customers could enroll to receive their vehicle notices by email instead of paper for customer convenience and DOL cost savings, and their boat decals by email since paper notices were discontinued as part of budget reductions.
Total enrollment through October 2011:
- Vehicles: 5.5% or over 384,000 out of 7.0 million registered vehicles, which may result in future cost avoidance of up to $207,000 per year if those enrollments remain active when expiration dates trigger reminders. Each ERN is estimated to save $0.54 in mailing and printing each year of vehicle ownership.
- Vessels: 24% or over 62,000 out of over 263,000 registered vessels. Paper reminders were discontinued in April 2010 and $150,000 was reduced from the budget.
Projecting future enrollment:
- Based on analysis of daily enrollments, each strategic action to increase enrollment has been effective, but we've already seen a diminishing rate of monthly increases, indicating market saturation.
- Based on above, without resources to implement additional strategies to boost enrollment, we project vehicle enrollment can only increase to 7.4% by June 2012.
- New strategies to increase ERN enrollment include increasing ERN visibility through improved self-service visibility and options (detailed in Action Plan 2.1), and increasing ERN direct marketing and access by mobile device (detailed in Action Plan 2.3).