KEY ACTION ITEMS
Partnerships are being formed with Tacoma Housing Authority on having a "Veteran Preference" to make it easier for veterans to obtain housing in the Tacoma area. See Extended analysis and action plan.
Project with 1416/1419 Apartments in Tacoma to implement practices to make it easier for veterans to obtain housing. See extended analysis and action plan.
Veteran Pet Preference, working with agencies to provide companion animals, to increase veterans odds of being successful in housing placement. See extended analysis and action plan.
Barriers exist for veterans needing permanent housing:
- Lack of a deposit, limited low cost housing available, and past financial difficulties often prevent veterans from obtaining permanent housing
- Bad rental histories and poor credit make it difficult to obtain housing
- Many veterans need credit counseling, life skills classes and anger management classes to be successfully housed
- Many veterans need housing close to public transportation due to the inability to drive
- Housing for veterans need to be in proximity to a VA hospital for ongoing health issues and treatment programs which limit available housing